The Name of the Star (The Shades of London)

The Name of the Star (The Shades of London) - Maureen Johnson I love it when an author takes a well-known story and makes it their own. I think it is so cool. But this one just could not keep me interested. When I read, I love to have a book that it practically kills me to put it down. I will sit there and keep waiting for a chance to pick it up again. I have spent entire nights reading, even knowing that I will have to get up at 6:20 the next day. This was not one of them. The main character, Rory, was okay. There wasn't anything extremely wrong or annoying about her, but there was not anything that I loved about her either. To me, she was just flat, no real personality or backbone. That was the thing that irritated me the most. She didn't stand up for herself or respect the decisions of others. She manipulated her friend into doing something she was not comfortable with and it didn't bug her at all. Other than that she was another Mary Sue. And the supporting characters weren't that interesting either. Usually I will try to find something I like about a book, just to force myself to finish it. I only got half way through so maybe it got better, but I couldn't force myself to finish it.